Click To Donate


In Memoriam

April 27, 2022


More articles by »
Written by: Zach

Life isn’t always sunshine and roses and I was reminded of that 10 days ago. It all started about 3 weeks prior when I pulled a couple of pups from the Bakersfield Animal Shelter. Their predicament was typical: stray, no parents, flea infested, hungry and very scared. They would not have lasted long had we not pulled them.
We named them Foley and Thomas after our two favorite newscasters, Kim Foley and Kelsey Thomas. Kim and Kelsey have jumped at every opportunity to cover The Mutts and it was time we honored them by naming a couple of dogs for them.

Foley was significantly smaller than her brother which we attributed to her being the runt or possibly having a different dad (liters can have multiple fathers). About a week after rescue, our pups became ill (most shelter dogs are exposed to illnesses and disease) and we had to take Foley to the Tehachapi Vet Hospital. She
spent the night but came home the next day in much better shape. She was fighting a respiratory infection that would require simple antibiotics. Thomas continued to grow and was adopted to a terrific family. Foley, on the other hand, continued to eat but wouldn’t gain weight (steady at just 5 lbs) and just seemed a little
“off.” She continued to take her medication and was not showing signs or symptoms of respiratory issues.

On Saturday, April 7th, we had a bunch of folks up to the rescue to meet and greet with the dogs. Foley was doing just fine and seemed excited to welcome each new family as they came in and out. Just as the last family was leaving, our little girl had what appeared to be a short seizure. In a matter of 3 or 4 seconds she
went limp, her eyes rolled back in her head and her gums and tongue went pale. I recognized that she was not breathing and began to search for an obstruction in her airway, but I couldn’t find anything.

By that point her heart had stopped beating and she was completely unresponsive-she was in full cardiac arrest. I have witnessed dogs die before and that is exactly what was happening. I began to administer rescue breathing and CPR. I am a certified Pet Tech CPR/Rescue breathing instructor and my training completely took over. I knew exactly what to do. I made an air tight seal around her mouth with my hand
and proceeded to blow air into her lungs through her nose, being careful not to overinflate the lungs as they could easily burst. I followed up with rapid, timed chest compressions with her lying on her side, being extremely cautious with the pressure because too much could easily crack her sternum and break ribs.

After 2 rounds of 15 compressions, with breaths in between, she began to move lightlyand I could feel a heartbeat. At first I thought the heartbeat was my own pulse, but after more movement it was obvious that it was her courageous little heart. I continued to help her breath by timing her breaths with mine. She reacted very well to this and within a couple minutes was standing on her own.

By then, my neighbor, Rhonda Hughes, had rushed down from her place and started preparing to move Foley to the hospital in my truck (thank God for awesome neighbors). We didn’t want to move her until she was stable and breathing on her own. About 20 minutes after she crashed, I left for the Tehachapi Vet Hospital. The ride down was encouraging; she was alert and even tried to sit in my lap as we drove. I thought to myself “We did it, little girl,” “We made it and you’re gonna be just fine.”

By the time we arrived I thought that we were out of the woods-sadly, this was not the case. The staff, which I have grown to love very much, drew blood and began to administer oxygen. The tests came back and revealed that Foley’s kidneys had completely shut down and that her body was being overrun with toxins. She was in a lot of pain and there was nothing we could do but ease her pain and put her to sleep. I said goodbye and kissed her on the forehead. I was grateful that I was given the opportunity to do that.





Ziva is one of the puppies recently rescued from the high desert. Her mom was feral and being the best mom she could. All six puppies have been brought into foster homes and are learning how to be pets. She loves the company if...
by Aileen Barker



Ranger is an 8mo old male red Merle cattle dog. He is very sweet and fairly mellow. He does well with children and enjoys playing with other dogs. He behaves excellent on leash and loves to climb in your lap for cuddles. He was...
by Aileen Barker


Saving Agnes

When we met Agnes she had been living as a stray and was microchipped to a family who now lives in New Mexico. It appears she was left behind when they moved and we got their permission to take her in and give her the care she ...
by Aileen Barker


Taylor and Soldier

Ask MM - Growling

Stella Buchman writes:  Ok, one thing to remember is that growling or any other vocal sounds from your dog is basically communication. They are having a conversation with that other dog, and you, however the communication is n...
by Bob Guere



Phoebe is one of the puppies recently rescued from the high desert. Her mom was feral and being the best mom she could. All six puppies have been brought into foster homes and are learning how to be pets. She loves the company ...
by Aileen Barker



Leo is one of the pups rescued from the desert that belonged to a feral mama dog. He is adjusting well to life with people and other pets and is learning to love attention. His breed is 100% mutt but most likely some Combinatio...
by Aileen Barker



  1. jenn

    sad day that was… least we got to hold her and show her love that day. Kona will look after her up in Doggie Heaven! xoxo.

  2. wanda

    thank you for sharing her story…Foley sounds like a wonderful sweet girl…I am so happy she had you to be with her when she transitioned.

  3. joanne foley

    Congratulations on the amazing effort made to save little Foley. In doggie heaven with others playing and having a great time.

You must be logged in to post a comment.